Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Have Questions About Your Health Plan?

WellCare of New York wants to make it easy for you to find answers. Here are some responses to often asked questions or call us at 1-877-395-4282 (TTY 711).

Q: What is WellCare Advocate?

A: WellCare Advocate is a managed, long-term care health plan. It is for people who have Medicaid and need long-term health care services. We help members with day-to-day activities. WellCare Advocate gives home and personal care to members so they can stay in their homes.

Q: How can I enroll in WellCare Advocate?

A: It is simple! Enrollment is voluntary. To learn more about WellCare Advocate or how to enroll, please call us at: 1-877-395-4282 (TTY 711) Monday–Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. We will put you in touch with a WellCare nurse, who will:

  • Arrange for a meeting to review your needs
  • Tell you about our plan
  • Conduct a brief physical and health review
  • Determine if you are eligible

Q: How does the enrollment process work?

A: If you are eligible and want to enroll:

  • The WellCare nurse will develop a care plan with help from you, your doctors and your caregivers
  • You will need to complete and sign an enrollment form
  • We will send the form to the New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA) for final approval

Q: Who is eligible?

A: To be eligible for WellCare Advocate, you must:

  • Have Medicaid or be eligible for Medicaid
  • Be age 18 or older
  • Live in Bronx, Kings, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Orange, Rockland, Albany, Ulster, Erie, Nassau, Suffolk, Richmond and Westchester counties.
  • Have a long-term illness or disability that requires services that are usually done in a nursing home, but can be done in your home, as long as they are safe
  • Be able to stay safely at home at the time you join the plan
  • Need one or more of the following services for at least 120 days from the date that you join the plan:
    • Adult day health care
    • Home health aide services in the home
    • Nursing services in the home
    • Personal care services in the home
    • Rehabilitation therapies (Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy) in the home
    • Social day care, if used instead of in-home personal care services
    • Have a doctor who is willing to work with the plan, or be willing to change to a doctor who will work with the plan

Need help? We're here for you.

Contact Us
Last Updated On: 10/23/2018