When to See a Doctor
Feeling hopeless? Sad? Helpless? Caring for your mental or behavioral health is important and will help you stay healthy. WellCare of New Jersey has providers who can help you. Search for a provider right here on our website.
See your doctor if you have any of these symptoms or call our Nurse Advice Line at 1-800-919-8807 for the names and phone numbers of providers who can help:
- Always feeling sad
- Feeling hopeless and/or helpless
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Problems sleeping
- No appetite
- Weight loss or gain
- Loss of interest in the things you like
- Problems paying attention
- Being upset
- Your head, stomach or back hurts, and your doctor has not found a cause
- Drug or alcohol problems
As a reminder, you must get a prior authorization (PA) to see a provider who is not in our network. You will have to pay for the care if you do not.
24-Hour Behavioral Health Crisis Line
Our 24-Hour Behavioral Health Crisis Line is 1-888-453-2534 (TTY 1-877-247-6272). If you or a family member is having a behavioral health crisis, call this number. A trained person will listen to your problem. He or she will help you decide the best way to handle it.
Is this an emergency?
Do you think that you may be a danger to yourself or others? If so, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room (ER). Do this even if you are not in our service area.
If you’re not sure if it’s an emergency, call your primary care provider (PCP). Or the 24-Hour Behavioral Health Crisis Line at 1-888-453-2534 (TTY 1-877-247-6272).
Need Support? Help Is Now Just a Click Away!
We've made it easier for you to get behavioral health care when you need it. Go to our online programs anytime and anywhere, and you progress at your own pace!
To get behavioral health support, you can access these programs:
- RESTORE - for sleep problems - 6 sessions
- SHADE - for alcohol or substance use - 10 sessions
- FEARFIGHTER - for anxiety, panic and phobia - 9 sessions
- MOODCALMER - for mild to moderate depression - 4 sessions
To enroll, go to https://wellcare.cobaltcbt.com/. Click on "Create Account Now".
Important Things to Remember:
- You do not need to get a prior authorization (PA) for a behavioral health emergency.
- The doctor who gives you your ER care may think you need post-stabilization care to maintain, improve or resolve your medical condition (we cover this type of care without a PA).
- After you leave the hospital, you will need to see your PCP within 24 to 48 hours.
- The hospital where you get your ER care may be out of our service area and, if so, you will be taken to a network facility when you can travel again.
Are You Outside of the Member Area?
Call the number on your member ID card. Once you are stable, call your provider. They will make plans to move you to a facility that is in your network.