Pregnancy and Newborn Care
When you find out you are pregnant, taking care of yourself can help you and your unborn baby stay healthy.
Your newborn will be automatically enrolled in the plan for the first 90 calendar days from birth, unless you (the mother) indicate otherwise prior to delivery.
You should see your PCP within 14 days of joining our plan. This depends on your risk factors and how long you have been pregnant. Make sure to go to all your prenatal and postpartum (after birth) visits.
Letting us know when you become pregnant is just as important as keeping your appointments. We can provide you with helpful information about having and caring for your baby.
A few reminders:
- If you have a baby while you are a WellCare member, we will cover him or her from birth
- You must let SCDHHS know (call 1-888-549-0820) that you are pregnant; once you have your baby, you need to call SCDHHS again to get his or her Medicaid number
- Give us your baby's Medicaid number after you get it from SCDHHS
- If your baby is not automatically added to WellCare, call us toll-free at 1-888-549-0820 to have him or her changed over to our plan
- Choose a PCP for your baby before he or she is born; if you do not, we will choose one for you